Showing 1646 results

Authority record

Lebowa Homeland

  • LEB
  • Governmental body
  • 1972-1994
During the apartheid period, Lebowa was the homeland of the North Sotho people (former Northern Transvaal) . It became a semi - independent national state in 1972. In 1994 , it was reincorporated into South Africa and it became part of the Limpopo Province.
Identifier: LEB

Multi Party Negotiating Process 1993

ARCHIVES OF THE MULTI-PARTY NEGOTIATING PROCESS 1993
1. ADMINISTRATIVE OUTLINE
1.1 Introduction
During the Convention for a Democratic South Africa (CODESA), I and II in 1991 and 1992, violence and intimidation continued to ravage the country. ANC_SACP_COSATU alliance suspended all the talks with the government and launched a three-month plan of mass action, which later was suspended due to economic reasons and the effect that it would cause on peace negotiations.
In 1993, there was a general consensus that negotiations aimed at drawing up a new constitution must be resumed although bilateral talks between political groups differed, especially regarding the role of regional government in a new constitution.
Multi-Party negotiating process was held in 1993 at the World Trade Centre in Johannesburg. It was pyramid in structure, with the Plenary at the top, followed by the Negotiating Forum, Negotiating Council and the Planning Committee. The Negotiating Council later formed seven Technical Committees. The Negotiating Council and the Planning Committee were at the heart of the Multi-party negotiating process.

Town Clerk, Municipality Murraysburg

  • 3/MBG
  • Governmental body
  • 1868 – 2000

The Municipality of Murraysburg was constituted on 10 March 1860 in terms of Proclamation No 16 of 1860 under provision of Ordinance No 9 of 1836.

In terms of the Local Government Transition Act, 1993 (Act 209 of 1993) the local government bodies in the Murraysburg Forum Area, namely the Municipality of Murraysburg and the Management Committee of Murraysburg, was dissolved and a transitional local council under the name “Municipality of Murraysburg” was established (Province of Western Cape Provincial Gazette Extraordinary No 4885, 21 October 1994, Proclamation No 65, 5 October 1994).

In terms of the Local Government: Municipal Structures Act, 1998 (Act 117 of 1998) the existing Municipality of Murraysburg together with other municipalities was disestablished and the Beaufort West Local Municipality established (Province of Western Cape Provincial Gazette Extraordinary No 5593, 22 September 2000, Provincial Notice No 508, 22 September 2000). The Beaufort West Local Municipality forms part of the larger Central Karoo District Municipality.

Secretary, Village Management Board Riebeeck East

  • 3/RBE
  • Governmental body
  • 1928 – 1961
The Village Management of Riebeek East was constituted on 19 June 1928 in term of Proclamation No 143 of 1928 under provision of the Villages Management Act of 1881 (Province of the Cap of Good Hope Official Gazette No 1157 dated 6 July 1928).

Secretary, Port Elizabeth Hospital Board

  • HPE
  • Governmental body
  • 1855 – 1948

In 1855 a municipal sub-committee recommended the erection of a hospital in Port Elizabeth and thus a Provincial Committee for the Management of the Port Elizabeth Provincial Hospital came into being to guide its establishment in November 1855. While the building of the hospital was being undertaken, a temporary hospital was opened on 10 September 1856.

In 1856, Act No 5 for Regulating the Provincial Hospital at Port Elizabeth (CCP 6/2/1/1) was passed, which vested all control of the institution in a Board of Managers.

The completed hospital building was occupied in 1859 and the temporary hospital closed. By 1900 the need for a new hospital was realized and the foundation stone of this hospital was laid in 1912.

In terms of Ordinance No 5 of 1912 (Province of the Cape of Good Hope Official Gazette No 218, 27 January 1912), Hospital Districts were created in Divisional Council areas. Hospital Boards, named after the division or town in which the main hospital was situated, were constituted to control and manage all institutions under and created by them.

Physician Superintendent, Mkambati Leper Institution, Lusikisiki

  • HMF
  • Governmental body
  • 1922 – 1963
Mkambati was a leper colony from 1922 to 1976 with restricted access by local communities who had been removed from the area. In 1976, the leper colony was closed down, and in 1977, part of the land was declared a state protected area.

Physician Superintendent, Alexandria Institution for the Feebleminded, Maitland

  • HAI
  • Governmental body
  • 1921 – 1955

The Alexandra Institution for the Feebleminded was opened in 1921. It was situated on what was formerly the Nieuwe Molen Estate.

It was decided to erect a hospital on the site to replace the Old Somerset Hospital, and the foundation stone was laid on I3 January 1906 by HRH the Duke of Connaught. Owing to the delays that seem inevitable in the construction of any public building, it was not until 1914 that the buildings were ready for occupation. By that time, the First World War had broken out, and so it was taken over as a military hospital. After the war, the Government decided to open it as South Africa's first institution for mental defectives. Patients were admitted in July 1921.

The first group came from Valkenberg and the Pretoria Mental Hospital, and by September they numbered 153 (all of whom were white females). By the end of the year, the numbers had increased to 245, of whom 92 were males. It had its share of teething troubles, many of which arose because the buildings had not been constructed to house defectives; for example, the admission of males was considerably delayed because the doors had no locks. Despite such handicaps, the development of the institution progressed well, and the numbers of patients and staff increased rapidly. Owing to ignorance of the scope and purpose of the institution, many unsuitable patients were sent there in the early days and had to be returned to tile hospitals from which they had come.

One of the first developments was the opening of a school for the younger defectives. Specially trained teachers from abroad were engaged, and special emphasis was laid on the development of muscular co-ordination and manual skills, rather than on scholastic attainment. There was an early institution of occupational therapy for both sexes, and this was highly developed over the years. Among the activities available for males were boot making, tailoring, painting, upholstery, woodwork, building, and plumbing. The females did laundry, sew, and fancy-work.

A development from 1947 was that the high-grade defectives now did paid work for outside firms. It began with rug-fringing, but in 1949 patients began to make bags for a tobacco firm; they earned 4 shillings for 1 000 bags.

When the institution was opened in 1921, Dr HC Watson was the first medical superintendent. Dr Watson was succeeded in 1923 by Dr RA Forster, who remained in charge until 1940. In addition to its medical staff, it had several psychologists, and several graduate students in psychology, from the University of Cape Town were doing research and practical work there.

Secretary for Public Works

  • PWD
  • Governmental body
  • 1872 – 1911

The Department of the Commissioner of Crown Lands and Public Works was created in terms of Act No 1 of 1872 on the introduction of responsible government. The first head of the ministerial department was C Abercrombie Smith was appointed on 1 December 1872.

As from 16 December 1872 “… all communications on the following subjects, such as have heretofore been addressed to the Honourable the Colonial Secretary, shall in future be addressed to the Honourable the Commissioner of Crown Lands and public Works, such as:
Crown Lands and Forests
Roads
Bridges
Harbour Works
Jetties
Public Buildings
Light Houses
Railway Works
Telegraphs
Public Stores …”

Further duties connected with immigration and hydraulics were placed under the charge of the Commissioner of Crown Lands and Public Works in January 1876.

On 1 July 1876 a permanent head of the department was appointed in the person of CB Elliott who was designated Assistant Commissioner of Crown Lands and Public Works. Prior to this appointment, Elliott had held the post of Chief Clerk to the Commissioner of Crown Lands and Public Works.

Commencing from 3 September 1892 all matters connected with lands, mines, forests, irrigation and water supply, and geological exploration were removed from the commissioner’s ministerial department to the newly created Department of Lands, Mines and Agriculture. Railways and all public works continued under the administration of the commissioner, the title of the permanent head of the department being changed to Assistant Commissioner of Railways and Public Works. The title of the ministerial head was changed to Commissioner of Public Works in terms of Act No 14 of 1893.

The control of all matters relating to ports and harbours (save the light house service) was transferred from the commissioner to the administration of the treasurer as from 5 October 1893. In the same month, the administration of the Public Works Department was placed upon a footing separate and distinct from that of the Railway Department. The permanent head of the department was now designated Secretary for Public Works.

Since 1 December 1893 the conduct of irrigation matters was divided between the Secretary for Public Works and the Under-secretary of Agriculture. The Secretary for Public Works was responsible for the investigation of suggested schemes for irrigation development and irrigation proposals generally, enquiry into the practicality from an engineering point of view of such schemes, supply of estimates of cost and capabilities. The Under-secretary for Agriculture was responsible for the initial action been taken in the selection of locality for irrigation works and the subsequent administration and development of completed schemes controlled by the government.

The control and working of water boring machines was transferred from the administration of the Secretary for Agriculture to that of the Commissioner of Public Works in January 1898. The department was subsequently also charged with the administration of the system of water boring by private contract under government subsidy which was introduced in 1903.

In October 1906 the administration of Act No 32 of 1906 which was passed to amend and consolidate the laws relating to irrigation and the utilisation of streams, was assigned to the Ministerial Department of the Commissioner of Public Works.

The administration of immigration was transferred in July 1903 from the Commissioner of Public Works to the Secretary for Agriculture.

In March 1905, the ministerial department and the separate executive department of the engineer-in-chief of public works were amalgamated. Under this new arrangement, the secretary for public works remained the permanent head of the ministerial section of the department possessing powers delegated to him by the minister. He was the channel of communication between the minister and the chief engineer. The re-organisation was not long-lived, since the advent of Union on 31 May 1910 brought to an end the Public Works Department as “constituted under the late Colonial Administration”.

Results 171 to 180 of 1646