The Village Management Board of Wolseley was constituted on 15 March 1898 under provision of Proclamation No 97 in terms of the Village Management Board Act of 1881 (Cape of Good Hope Government Gazette No 8006, 15 March 1898).
The Municipality of Wolseley was established with effect from 1 August 1955 under provision of Proclamation No 58 of 1955 in terms of Municipal Ordinance No 19 of 1951 (Province of the Cape of Good Hope Official Gazette No 2753, 22 April 1955).
In terms of the Local Government: Municipal Structures Act, 1998 (Act 117 of 1998) the existing Wolseley Municipality together with the Municipality of Ceres, Matroosberg Transitional Representative Council, Municipality of Prince Alfred’s Hamlet, Witzenberg Transitional Representative Council and Municipality of Tulbagh was disestablished and the Witzenberg Local Municipality established (Province of Western Cape Provincial Gazette Extraordinary No 5590, 22 September 2000, Provincial Notice No 487, 22 September 2000). The Witzenberg Local Municipality forms part of the larger Cape Winelands District Municipality.
The Municipality of Colesberg was established on 19 June 1840 under provisions of Ordinance No 9 of 1836.
In 1994 Colesberg became part of the Northern Cape Province. It forms part of the Umsobomvu Local Municipality, one of eight local municipalities that falls under the Pixley ka Seme District Municipality.
The Village Management Board of Caledon was established on 25 November 1839, under the provisions of Ordinance 9 of 1836.
The Municipality was constituted on 11 January 1884 under proclamation No 10 of 1884 in terms of the provisions of the Municipality Act of 1882.
The Municipality of Caledon ceased to exist from December 2000 when it amalgamated with Genadendal, Grabouw, Greyton, Riversonderend, Villiersdorp, Botriver and Tesselaarsdal to form the Theewaterskloof Municipality.
The Municipality of Richmond was constituted on 27 June 1854 under provision of Ordinance No 9, 1836.
In 1994 Richmond became part of the Northern Cape Province. It forms part of the Ubuntu Local Municipality, one of eight local municipalities that falls under the Pixley ka Seme District Municipality.
A Municipal Corporation was established at King William’s Town by Ordinance No 1 of 8 February 1861 (BK 438 British Kaffrarian Ordinance).
In 1994 King William's Town became part of the Eastern Cape Province.
King William's Town (now known as Qonce) is part of the Buffalo City metropolitan municipality and it includes the towns of East London and Bhisho, as well as the large townships of Mdantsane and Zwelitsha.
The Municipality of Ceres was constituted on 11 October 1864 under Proclamation No 53 of 1864 in terms of Ordinance No 9 of 1836.
In terms of the Local Government: Municipal Structures Act, 1998 (Act 117 of 1998) the existing Ceres Municipality together with the Municipality of Wolseley, Matroosberg Transitional Representative Council, Municipality of Prince Alfred’s Hamlet, Witzenberg Transitional Representative Council and Municipality of Tulbagh was disestablished and the Witzenberg Local Municipality established (Province of Western Cape Provincial Gazette Extraordinary No 5590, 22 September 2000, Provincial Notice No 487, 22 September 2000). The Witzenberg Local Municipality forms part of the larger Cape Winelands District Municipality.
During the period 1881 – 1882 Claremont, Mowbray, Rondebosch and Wynberg had all been given Village Management Boards.
In October 1882, however, the inhabitants of these four suburbs petitioned the Government to establish a municipality which would incorporate them all.
As a result by Proclamation 97 of June 1883 the Municipality of Liesbeek was established. The municipal regulations were published in February 1884 and in the same month the Municipal Council of Liesbeek began to function.
The Liesbeek Municipality was comprised of the following wards: Wynberg and Diep River (ward 1), Claremont (ward 2), Newlands (ward 3), Rondebosch (ward 4), and Mowbray (ward 5). Each had its own Ward Committee which met separately but fell under the control of the Central Municipal Council of Liesbeek.
Under Proclamation 115 of July 1886 the designation of the Municipality of Liesbeek was altered and the municipality was from then on known under the name of the Municipality of Wynberg, which only included Wynberg and Diep River. The other wards were severed and became independent municipalities – Mowbray falling under Rondebosch until September 1890 and Newlands divided between Claremont and Rondebosch.
The Village Management Board of Wynberg was created under Proclamation No 103 of July 1882.
Wynberg obtained municipal status through Proclamation No 115 of 1886. This municipality functioned until 1927 when it was amalgamated with the Cape Town Municipality.